Thursday, September 30, 2010

Herb Gardens and Farmers' Markets

Earlier this summer, I went to one of Evanston’s several farmers’ markets and bought a basil plant. It served me beautifully for three long months, supplying me with loads of delicious fresh basil for omelettes, pastas, stirfries, and more.

However, basil doesn’t last through the summer, not usually at least. It's an annual plant so by season's end, the plant will die. Luckily, there are ways to extend the life of your basil, namely by constantly trimming the ends. In doing so, you prevent the basil from reaching maturity and going to seed (when the leaves won’t taste as good). I thought I was doing a good job, but time has started to get the best of my basil plant. After my last pesto, this is all that was left:

The current condition of my basil plant: yellow tinged but growing.

My friend, Sam, revitalized his droopy basil plant by fertilizing it. I think I’m going to try that too.

At $5 a plant vs. $1/oz. of packaged basil, my little project has probably saved me around $15.  The best part about my basil is that the slightest breeze from my window sends a wonderful, herby aroma through my apartment. My point: raising herb plants is a great idea. Why?

They:
  •        are sustainable- No more packaging waste. I may be reaching, but they also suck up carbon dioxide from the air.
  •        save you money
  •        smell great
  • inspire you to cook, which stops you from eating packaged processed food

I was a first-timer this year, and I’m never going back. I promise you that if you start, you won’t either. Money back guarantee. Besides basil, other great herbs include rosemary, parsley, mint, sage, thyme, chives, and tarragon. If you have an herb in mind, just figure out what it needs, and get to it.


As a note, farmers’ market season is ending so get cheap produce while you still can!
For all of you Evanstonions, here’s the low down:

Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market
Dates/Time: Saturdays, May 8 - November 6, 2010 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Location: Intersection of University Place and Oak Ave.

West End Market
Dates: Saturdays, June 5 - Oct. 30, 2010
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: Intersection of Church St. and Dodge Ave. (ETHS parking lot)

For people in Chicago, check this website out.

For everyone else, Google has your back.

1 comment: